Tuesday, January 8, 2008

January 8, 2008- My First Day!

Well, for those who thought they knew me, and those who might want to get to know me, I'll tell you where this journey began... It was during my high school years that I thought I wanted to adopt a child. I never thought of the number of children I would have, nor did I have a timeline for this. Maybe this is my "God-given" gift-the ability to parent. If this isn't it, then I have no idea what it could be because I KNOW that it is not singing, acting, or art. Anyway, I knew adopting would never happen with my first husband. I don't recall ever sharing my dream with him. However when that disasterous marriage ended, and I met my new husband who adopted my girls almost 8 years ago, I started entertaining those thoughts again. I had two more children thinking that would fill that gap...and I have two entertaining, beautiful children. I still had that need, however. So, for the last year, I have been researching companies and talking to people I have met on message boards. The hardest thing for me right now is to take the plunge, and go with that one company. I have heard so many horror stories about agencies! My husband and I finally have decided to contract with Hope Adoption Agency. The reason I chose this agency is the number of people who have talked highly of Shimeless. He's Ethiopian, so he knows first-hand the plight of his native country. I completed the initial application, and wrote that check for the fee. I dove in head first! Please pray for me...

2 comments:

Karl, Leslie, & Gavyn said...

WOW! I have never been so proud of my sister! This is an amazing act of selflessness. There are so many out there who are born into environments and situations which are beyond their control. Given the opportunity,they can be a wonderful addition to a family, community, and society. Our prayers will definitely be with you. Thank you so much for allowing us to follow your journey. If there is anything we can do, please let us know! We are very excited and welcome the new addition to our family!

LISA said...

Hi Holly! We are adopting from Ethiopia also! Using CHI. Our dossier is in Ethiopia as of December 11th,07 We live in Kansas. It's so exciting!
Looking forward to keeping up on your blog!!You have a beautiful family.
Lisa :)