Sunday, April 27, 2008

Ethiopian Dinner

Ethiopian cooking is very spicy. In addition to flavoring the food, the spices also help to preserve meat in a country where refrigeration is rare. Berbere is an essential ingredient in Ethiopian cooking. It is a red paste made of spices and herbs. Flavored butter called niter kebbeh is also important. Niter kebbeh is flavored with onions, garlic, ginger and spices. Wat, or stew is an important traditional Ethiopian food. It can be made with chicken, beef, fish, or be vegetarian. It contains paprika and is very spicy. Wat is eaten with injera, an Ethiopian flatbread made from teff. Coffee is also important in Ethiopia.

So, I ordered Ethiopian spices from www.ethiopianspices.com , and Kenneth and I prepared food for my parents, sister, and brother-in-law. It took both of us to prepare all the food. It wasn't easy... We cooked Gomen which are collard greens, Sega Wot which is a red beef stew, Kit Wot which is a red lentil stew, and Shiro which is powdered chick peas that end up with the consistancy of refried beans. I can't believe everyone ate! I'm not always that brave to try new things. I think I will definitely become a vegetarian in Ethiopia. I'm extremely picky with my meats...

No comments: