Friday, October 24, 2008

Meaning of "Maritu"

Most Ethiopians have names that have a special meaning. I've been trying to find out what the name "Maritu" means, and I finally found out. There is an Ethiopian lady on an Ethiopian adoption board that replied to my question, and here is what she said:

"Maritu comes from "Mar" which means "honey", as in the honey from the bees :-) and therefore sweet. So Maritu means "the girl who is honey". Does that make sense? I wish I had taken my Amharic and history lessons seriously when I was in school. :-) I would have learned to explain things better."

Little does she know how wonderfully she explained this! Thanks Memi! You are a blessing!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Oh Holly was a precious translation and oh so accurate. Your sweet little Maritu is perfectly named. She is sweet as honey. Thinking of you and praying for good news to come your way soon. Hang in there girl!!!!
Hugs,

Chris

The Wilkinson's said...

I love finding out what our kid's names mean! It is so sweet that their birth parents picked sweet names that meant something special!